Friday, September 10, 2010

Swimming with Manta Rays

We have been in Hawaii (The Big Island) all week celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary.
This evening, we swam with Manta Rays in the ocean!

What is a "Manta Ray"?
I'm not too sure. I just know they are giant sea creatures that looks a lot like regular rays at the local aquarium, but much bigger -- they are about 15 feet wide (but the largest known specimen is over 25 feet wide). And they are quite cute.

To swim with the Manta Rays, we had to take the boat out to the middle of the ocean at night time (~8pm). Then we got in the water, turned on our flash lights, swam around and watched the Manta Rays swim (we used snorkels). We needed lights to attract plankton, which is the only thing these Manta Rays eat.

I never swam in the middle of the ocean and I never swam in the ocean at night. I did not expect to be nervous about the whole thing until I got into the water and felt a tad bit nervous. It was cold, dark, and I could not figure out how to swim with flippers on. But it turned out to be really fun after I got to see the manta rays up close (literally). They came up within 6 inches from my body -- they are not shy at all when food is involved.

We took our underwater digital camera into the ocean and got some great up-close videos.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOfAhGCkPMA

We used this company for the Manty Ray snorkeling/swimming:
http://www.sunlightonwater.com/swim-with-manta-rays.asp


(i will post more about our other Hawaii activities soon!!)

-----
EDIT:

I uploaded a 2nd manta ray video:

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you two had a blast. Watching your vid brings me back to the time I got bitten while swimming with rays in the Caribbean. Apparently they don't appreciate being tickled while flipped over belly side up, lol!

    ReplyDelete