Saturday, September 11, 2010

Swimming with honu (Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle) and fish

Today, we went to Kahalu'u Beach Park to swim and Snorkel. It is right across the street from our condo and is a hot spot for snorkeling.
Once again, we took our underwater camera into the water, to take pictures of fish.

yellow tang
From The Adventures of Jeff and Jen


I don't know the name. Help please.
From The Adventures of Jeff and Jen



We saw a lot of different fish, but many did not come out looking so great on camera.

In addition to beautiful tropical fish, we also saw large Hawaiian Sea Turtles!
At first, he swam right at us, making me think he wanted to eat us!! But the turtle ignored us, swam right by us and continued on.
Jeff and I swam right after the turtle, following its every move.
After a while, we were done chasing the turtle so we stopped. When we looked back at the beach, turns out, we swam really far away!! Ruh roh o_O!
We were far away from the shore and from the rest of the beach snorkelers. whoops.

Also, because we were so far out, there was a lot of coral and rocks on the bottom of the ocean floor. Those things can cut your foot because they are sharp. In fact, I told Jeff to be careful and not kick a coral because it can cut him. 1 minute later, he got a small cut on his foot. Why did I even bother... =D

I floated back to the shore, to avoid touching any rocks and coral. There were times when I wanted to re-adjust my snorkel and get water out, but treading water could lead to torn up feet, so I just had to bear with it.

We finally made it back. What an adventure!!
And we saw this guy, when we got to shore:
From The Adventures of Jeff and Jen


---
Jeff took 2 videos of us following the green sea turtles. I see Jeff having a future in underwater videography!



(hehe. look at the 18 second mark for this video. a fish tries to suck on the turtle's foot. hehe)

No comments:

Post a Comment